Chocolate Coca-Cola Birthday Cake Recipe
Total Time: 1hr 30min | Prep Time: 1hr | Cook Time: 30min
- 1devil's food cake mix (18.5-ounce) (see note)
- 1bottle Coca-Cola (16-ounce)
- 2 Tablespoongrated orange peel
- .5 Cup semisweet chocolate chips (about half of a 6-ounce package)
- 12large fresh, ripe strawberries, preferably unhulled
- .5 Cupbutter or margarine, softened
- 1package confectioners' sugar (16-ounce)
- 3 Tablespoonpowdered chocolate drink mix such as Nestle's Quik
- vanilla extract 1.5 Teaspoon
Heat oven to 350°F; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Cake: Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups Coca-Cola in place of water and stirring 1 tablespoon grated orange peel in batter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert cake onto wire rack cool completely. Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before decorating. Frosting: Stir chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over very low heat until melted and smooth; remove from heat. Dip strawberries into chocolate to coat halfway, placing each berry as it is dipped on cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate berries until ready to use. Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with sharp serrated knife; place bottom layer on large cookie sheet. Beat butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and chocolate drink mix until smooth. Beat in 1/3 cup of remaining Coca-Cola, remaining 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla until thoroughly blended and smooth. Spread half of frosting over bottom cake layer; top with second layer. Swirl remaining frosting over top of cake. Cut cake into 12 portions; arrange on platter.
Decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries and birthday candles, if desired.